Sunday, September 29, 2013

POWS

In the future, I plan to be a Secondary English teacher. I am still far away from that job especially when it comes to grammar, Though my time in school I have wrote essays, structure papers, and novel papers. [Sentence with a interruption of though]. As a writer I still have areas that I can learn from especially when it comes to the grammar portion of it.

My first issue is run-on sentences because it’s hard for me to end a paragraph when I still have so much to say; but that can change.  [A compound sentence using a semicolon; a longish sentence connected to a very short one with a semicolon.] [Pattern of Week]. I understand that we are college students and should know this stuff by now, but it still confusing especially when you try to go back and fix it with commas, dashes, etc. For example, we could be writing a paper on ethnicity and so it goes like this. A learned cultural heritage of history, values, language, habits, religion, and/or beliefs shared by a group of people; usually by people from the same nationality and sometimes from the same race. [A compound sentence using a semicolon, the two sentences mirroring each other, with repeated parallel structures] (This was something from awhile back ago; it was sort of a definition). To me it seems like a good sentence, but then again I never really know. As bad as it sounds, occasionally I rely on word check because they can usually pick up mistakes. [Sentence started with a because clause]. I feel like this area can be fix with just some more practice of writing because I can learn more hands-on. Maybe by learning to put in colons and dashes and parenthesis I’ll be able to fix this mistake.

Another issue I have is structure, organization, grammar, breaks, and fluency. When in writing I tend to lose my focus and ideas mesh together. Nor do I ever correct these mistakes. [Sentence started with a Nor]. This creates one hell of a paper to revise. When I am writing my paper I seem to try and organize the paper correctly in an orderly manner but sometimes it doesn’t happen. Because if I start a paper late I feel the need to be in a rush to get it done. [Sentence structure started with a because]. My grammar comes out bad because I am saying the wrong meaning by it like-Their or There. To me, I know they are different but at the same time when I am writing a paper really fast, it just comes out wrong. It then comes down to fluency because if it doesn’t sound good to me, then it definitely will not sound good to the teacher especially if it doesn’t make sense. My example above also can work for this issue to because if the sentence isn’t fluent or has the proper grammar, then the sentence isn’t structurally sound. Also putting in breaks in papers is also difficult to me because it’s hard to know when you should move to another paragraph. When you have a lot to say it becomes difficult even through you can just make it into two paragraphs instead.

I definitely feel that after this class is over, I am not going to be having a lot of mistakes as I usually do when writing my paper. We will probably end up going over a lot if not all the issues of grammar in class, because everyone has their own mistakes.


3 comments:

  1. Overall your post looks good. However, in your "though" sentence you need to have "though" be separated from both phrases by a comma. So it should look like this...

    I am still far away from that job especially when it comes to grammar, though, my time in school I have wrote essays, structure papers, and novel papers.

    (You might need to rephrase your sentence a bit for it to make sense now.) You also forgot to do number 7. Write a sentence using a semicolon as a super comma in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually, the "though" in both of these examples is the same as "although"... an AAAWWUBBIS subordinating conjunction. (So sorry I've confused the whole class on this one!)

      Delete
  2. You did well on about half of the POWs, but you're struggling with semicolons. Study up on them; we'll be doing them again next week.


    Correct = Start a sentence with "Nor."
    Correct = Start a sentence with a "Because" clause, attached to the main sentence that follows.
    Correct = End a sentence with a "because" clause.
    X = Use ,though, to interrupt a main sentence as a kind of aside.
    X = Use a semicolon to connect a longish sentence to a very short one.
    X = Write a compound sentence using a semicolon, the two sentences mirroring each other, with repeated parallel structures
    Missing = Write a sentence using a semicolon as a super comma.

    ReplyDelete